Virgin Money London Marathon

So yesterday over 36,000 men and women from different walks of England joined paths to complete a gruelling 26.2 mile run. With the sun peaking at 16 degrees celsius, it was perfect weather for spectators but completely the opposite for the runners. These amazing people battled with pain and dehydration throughout the whole course to complete London 2014's Marathon.

Group of runners taking part in the London Marathon 2014 (photo by me)

I was truly inspired as the crowds came in their hundreds to support the runners cheering them through every single minute of the course. Seeing people injured, wobbling yet striving through it all.. knowing that nearly all were doing the marathon for an amazing cause (wether it being for a charity or in memory of a loved) was amazing.

At the finish line I spoke to a man named Garry (I wish we had longer to speak). He was running the marathon for a charity named Tommy's (www.tommys.org). Garry's was running in memory of his sisters son who only survived 8 hour and his sister who also died giving birth to their son. He raised a lot of money for the charity (he preferred if I didn't say how much) and he said that "..the pain from the marathon doesn't beat the pain of loosing a relative. I just hope my contributions to Tommy's helps the prevention of still births, miscarriages and other birth issues that no woman should have to face."

MBE Richard Whitehead & runner dress as 'Ironman' taking part in the London Marathon 2014 (photos by me)

To those 36,000 men and women, I congratulate you all. Not many of us can even image running a marathon let a lot actually take part in it. You truly are a huge inspiration..

R.I.P to Robery Berry, 42 who collapsed after crossing the finishing line and later died. My condolences to his family and friends.




0 comments: